Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Snakes

I have been seeing a lot of snakes on my route lately and today was no exception. I saw a total of 4 snakes.

The first live snake I saw I ran over, but not intentionally. I was driving on Hwy 170 going north at approximately 60 mph. I saw this black strip in the road and didn't think anything about it. Once I was within 2-3 feet I noticed a head lift into the air but it was too late then. There were cars coming from the other direction and braking wouldn't have done any good either. I looked in my side mirror and saw the snake strike at its mid-body, the part I ran over, and I thought, "That's probably the last time you do that."

The second live snake I saw was on a dirt road called Bidville Road and it had light brown(tan) and darker brown stripes or diamond shapes. It was pretty big and hanging out in the weeds but it was far enough out for me to see. I see things that most people don't because I am a professional driver and I am trained to see what you less than professional drivers can't or don't see. At first I thought the snake was a rattler due to its size and markings, but after googling it at work I realized it wasn't.

The other two snakes were dead in the road. Speaking of dead in the road, why do so many armadillos die on or near a hiway or road? I can't count all of the dead dillos I see in West Fork and Winslow. Do you think people try to kill them with their cars or do you think the dillos are playing dodge car? I don't know, but I would guess I saw at least 10 today.

No comments: